Five Ways to Demonstrate Value to Your Employer
Even though unemployment figures are getting better for most workers, job security is still a big concern for people in the workforce. If you want to make sure you’re secure in your position – or you want to stand out and hope to earn more recognition for your work – the best way is to make sure you’re demonstrating value.
What does it mean to demonstrate value? You need to show your employer that they’re better off having you as an employee than the opposite. In other words, you have to show your employer that the business works best with you around. Easy, right?
Unfortunately, demonstrating value isn’t always a simple prospect. It can be nerve-wracking to think of how to show your employer they need you. That’s why we’ve put together a few simple strategies and tips for demonstrating value no matter what position or industry you’re in.
Understanding Why You’re Valuable
The key to demonstrating value to your employer is knowing what makes you valuable in the first place. And remember – you’re demonstrating why you’re valuable to your boss, not why your job is valuable to you. When considering your value to your job, remember to think about it in terms of what makes you a valuable employee. In short, try to think from your boss’s perspective.
Here are a few questions you can ask yourself to help you figure out what your value is to your employer:
- What is your role in the organization, and how unique is it? If you do work nobody else does, or you’re a key part of a small team, it should be easy to show why your employer needs you.
- How does your work affect the bottom line? In other words, if you left, would the business feel the impact?
- When have you been recognized for doing good work? If your employer, your clients, or your customers often give you thanks or praise, those are areas where your contributions are noticed.
Simple Ways to Demonstrate Value
Once you’ve determined some areas where you contribute value, you then need to figure out how to show that to your employer clearly. Here are a few strategies you can use to make your contributions more noticeable:
- Show Your Knowledge – One of the best ways to demonstrate your value to your employer is to show how much you know about your work and your industry. Help train new employees, volunteer to give a presentation, or work with your sales and marketing team to do client or customer outreach. In other words, think of a way to show your expertise to your employer.
- Be Reliable and Flexible – One key to being a valuable employee is being one your employer can count on. That means getting your work done on time, showing up when you’re supposed to, and working as part of the team. You can also show value through flexibility – branching out to bring your knowledge to new areas or projects.
- Make Your Value Easy to See – Think about what makes your work noticeable, and emphasize those aspects. For instance, if your work saves others time or fixes their problems, try to highlight those parts of your job with your employer.
- Be Positive – One of the best ways to show value at your job is to be a positive influence on others. Be someone that other workers want to be around or that they come to with their issues.
- Stand Out – Try to do something that sets you apart from the people around you. If you sell more than others, work faster than your colleagues, or come up with innovative solutions and results, your value will be easy to see.
Find a Great Job In Oklahoma City Today
Are you looking for an opportunity to work for a company that will value your hard work? Contact Neese Personnel today to find a great new job at one of Oklahoma City’s top companies. Call 405-942-8551 today to learn more or visit us on Facebook or LinkedIn to see some of the opportunities we have available.